[mythtv-users] mythtv cannot connect to database

jam at tigger.ws jam at tigger.ws
Fri Jul 10 05:35:07 UTC 2020

> On 10 Jul 2020, at 11:38 am, George Bingham <georgeb1962 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> In mythtv-setup, I reset the IP Address to 127.0.0.1, so now the backend is connecting directly to the database?
>
> well, that works for the FE/BE, but not the remote frontend. How do you make the local frontend connect directly, while still using the network for remote connections?

George it is simple, but oh so intricate

The be must be setup to use the ip, not 127.0.0.1. 127 is localhost and wont work on remote frontends
The fe may use 127 or ip. It is local
The remote fe must use the be:ip

Next you must setup the grants in mysql. Ubuntu will accept % as localhost. Suse will not.

On suse I grant mythtv-stuff to localhost and to %

bottom. line is mysql -umythtv -pmythtv mythconverg must work locally on fe/be machine
and
mysql -umythtv -pmythtv -h be.machine mythconverg must work on the remote laptop

ubuntu uses a silly pasword.
My wildcard id 192.168.5.%
My wife wont hack mythtv, so sensible passwds suit me

The src code has a mc.sql for setup of the DB. You may need to find it.
That is it!
James