[mythtv-users] mythtv cannot connect to database

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 03:38:38 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 8:06 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 14:58:27 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 2:42 PM George Bingham <georgeb1962 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I've had a functioning 31 fixes combo fe/be running for a few weeks.
> >>
> >> Today I got frontend 31 installed on a laptop and so I am trying to
> enable
> >> it to access the backend.
> >>
> >> To that end I know I have to set mysql to accept connections from the
> >> network, but my attempts don't seem to be working.
> >>
> >> I have in /etc/mysql two "bind-address" lines, one in conf.d/mythtv.cnf,
> >> and one in mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf. They are both set to the IP address
> of
> >> my mythtv backend machine (where the database is running too).
> >>
> >> When I start either mythtv-setup, I get the screen where it's not able
> >> connect to the database.  Starting the backend similarly results in the
> >> lines attempting to access the database repeatedly in the backend log
> file.
> >>
> >> Similarly, cannot connect from the frontend machine either.
> >>
> >> I CAN connect from the laptop (remote frontend) via mysql directly
> >> however, so I know the database is running and able to accept networked
> >> connections. I just don't know what's going wrong with either the
> backend
> >> or the frontend not being able to connect.
> >>
> >> I am sure it's something simple, but currently at a loss!
> >>
> >> Help?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> -- George
> >>

> >Nevermind. Simply changing the "bind-address" to * instead of the IP
> >address was the answer.
> >
> >Sorry to waste this valuable resource!
>
> If you are using IPv6 on your network, you should use :: instead of *.
>
> The reason that the backend was unhappy when you set a specific IP
> address for the mysql bind-address was that you had not changed the IP
> address the backend was connecting to so that it also used that
> specific address.  So the backend was still trying to connect on
> localhost (127.0.0.1) and mysqld was not listening on localhost any
> more.  Leaving the backend connecting on localhost to mysql is good -
> it gets a much faster connection that way.  Only external connections
> should be using the external IP address to talk to mysql.
>
> When you have more than one bind-address line in your mysql config
> files, it is best to comment out one of them (put a # character at the
> start of the line).  There is a specific order that the config files
> are read in, and only one of those bind-address settings will actually
> be working, which will be the last one that gets read.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the info!

In mythtv-setup, I reset the IP Address to 127.0.0.1, so now the backend is
connecting directly to the database?

well, that works for the FE/BE, but not the remote frontend. How do you
make the local frontend connect directly, while still using the network for
remote connections?

Thanks,

George