[mythtv-users] Moved to Intel NUC - no sound & IR receiver needed

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Jan 26 20:14:23 UTC 2020

Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Just copied the whole system from the HD
>
> You mentioned that you're still using kernel version 2.6.38. According
> to [1] that was released in March 2011, so would not have supported
> hardware more modern than that.
>
> Don't stick with old software unless you can be sure that your hardware
> doesn't need anything newer. What are the specs of your NUC
> (particularly: which CPU-with-integrated-GPU does it contain)?

Generally I'd agree with you - but in this case it's a matter of getting a previously working system going again - I'm reduced to running a frontend on my (Mac) laptop, which is very slow doing anything, and has almost zero WAF :-( In the past I've not upgraded on the basis of "if it's working, don't 'fix' it" - one time I did make the mistake of installing updates, it killed the frontend, and I had to do restore from a backup.
I don't have time at the moment to build a new backend and frontends to go with it - it's on the cards, sometime, but not just now.

The NUC is a DC3217IYE
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/71275/intel-nuc-kit-dc3217iye.html
That was launched Q4 2012 so not much newer than the software (that was another reason for trying it).

dmesg says it's loading a module for the Intel HD Audio device and there's entries in /dev/snd - it just doesn't seem to go any further.

Simon