[mythtv-users] What do these errors mean?

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 11:20:17 UTC 2020

On 20/01/2020 10:35, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> Executive summary:
>
> I note these errors in the backend log:
> mythbackend[809482]: 2020-01-20 20:26:58.918970 E
> mpeg/mpegstreamdata.cpp:333:AssemblePSIP
> MPEGStream[33](0x7f9864096d50): Error:
> AFCOffset(228)+StartOfFieldPointer(7)>184, pes length & current cannot
> be queried
>
> What does it mean? more importantly:
>      is it a real problem or just noise?
>      is there a way to avoid it?
> I wonder if it is related to one of my (USB) tuners failing.
>
> The full story:
>
> I recently had one (of 5) tuners fail partway during a recording. It
> showed adapter1. Always the same.
> I replaced the hub holding adapters 0-3, no change.
> I swapped tuner1<->tuner3 but adapter 1 is still the one failing.
>
> Is it possible that the trouble is in some internal table? Interrupt?
> Leading it to fail for an adapter
> even when a different tuner is attached?
>
> scandvb tunes all 5 tuners perfectly after a cold boot. After a
> recording fails this tuner (adapter1)
> does not tune one of the multiplexes. The other tuners work fine.
>
> TIA

I have seen the error line starting from MPEGStream, but without the
PSIP preamble,  for a long time, with no obvious long-term bad effects.
I think it's from the EIT data processing when reception isn't perfect,
and you may only be using adapter1 for doing those scans.  And the tuner
may be going bad too.  Other comments welcome...

John P