[mythtv-users] DVBSky S952 or TBS 6902 or neither

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Jan 14 10:19:44 UTC 2020

On 13/01/2020 14:35, John wrote:
> On 13/01/2020 12:21, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 11:44:15 +0000, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm looking to replace an old Haupauge Single tuner PCI card with a Dual
>>> tuner PCIe card. Can anyone recommend either of the above for use with
>>> MythTV? My old Haupauge card, although not perfect has been working for
>>> many years, with regular kernel updates, using the built in drivers, so
>>> I don't want the backward step of having to explicitly build drivers
>>> each kernel update, hence the neither possibility.
>> The TBS6902 is a fairly new card so it uses a newer chipset and needs
>> the V4L based TBS drivers.  So you would have to compile them for each
>> kernel update.
>
> I am currently using a DVBSky S950 V3 which has behaved faultlessly for
> 5 years.
>
> I have tried both the DVBSky S952v3 and the TBS6902 and have had
> occasional bad recordings from both. (First tuning after power on failing.)
>
> The DVBSky cards are supported in the kernel.

Thank you both. That's exactly the sort of information I was hoping for.
The S950C seems to still be available, which apparently uses the same
chips. Looks to be the same card, but with a CI Common Interface Slot.
Only a single tuner, but PCIe and increased reliability was mainly what
I was looking for.

Cheers,
	Paul.