[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase run manually

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Fri Jan 10 17:04:23 UTC 2020

On 1/10/20 8:45 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> On 1/10/20 10:47 AM, DaveD wrote:
>> Might consider giving the RPi its own connection, independent of your
>> phone:
>>
>> https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/raspberry-pi-cellular
>>
>> Dave D.

>>> It is possible to get a script to run when a network connection comes
>>> up - see /etc/network/if.up.  The system uses this, but it is possible
>>> to add your own scripts also.  I presume an RPi also works this way -
>>> it is a Debian and Debian based thing.  So you could have
>>> mythfilldatabase run when a network connection comes up the first time
>>> each day after the time it would normally be run.
>>>
> The IoT cellular modem looks cool.  The article talks about SMS
> messaging. I wonder if it can be just an internet connection like a
> MiFi, Jetpack, or Hotspot?
>
> I have a trip scheduled soon and will test out my phone as a hotspot
> at night while charging. If the router will keep the connection alive
> all night with only the XMLTV data being sent then I have a workable
> solution.  The connecting of the phone to the charger is a variable
> time event, but always before midnight. So I could set the
> mythtv-setup auto update of program information via the
> mythfilldatabase command to run after midnight and it should work
> without any additional scripts being needed. Mythbackend should
> control the database update to just once a day. I just have to turn on
> the hotspot when I plug in the charger.
>
> Jim A

That link was just the first hit on a Google search for raspberry pi
cellular.  There were many more.  Lots of cellular dongles on the
market.  I, personally, have never used one, but knew a guy with a
laptop who used to connect for looking at weather info from our hang
glider launch.  Works great.

Dave D.