[mythtv-users] Disaster recovery

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 10:14:31 UTC 2020

On 24/02/2020 09:18, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lost the OS disk on my back-end in the week.  Fortunately, recordings,
> videos and crucially, a database backup from the weekend are all
> intact on a separate disk.  This was all running on Xubuntu 18.04 with
> Mythv 0.29/fixes and a Hauppauge WinTV-QuadHD-DVB.
>
> Replacement root disk arrived and I have rebuilt the OS.  Am I right
> in thinking that I just follow these steps (without going into
> myth-setup):-
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/29
> sudo apt install mythtv
> sudo adduser $USER mythtv
> mkdir -p $HOME/.mythtv
> ln -s -f /etc/mythtv/config.xml ~/.mythtv/config.xml
> sudo reboot
>
> then stop the backend, import the database  backup using
> mythconverge_restore.pl, restart the backend and I should be good to go?
>
> Thanks

I have done this a few times.

Depending on precise configuration there may be few extra items to check.

My check list is below:

Best to make sure hostname is same as previous.

any firmware for tuner card has been installed.

any required udev rules have been recreated.

any required file in /etc/modprobe.d/ e.g. options file for tuner card
has been recreated.

any required systemd override file for mythtv-backend.service has been
recreated.

If using xmltv (and it has been installed)  e.g. Schedules direct,
recreate the necessary <videosource_name>.xmltv in /home/mythtv/.mythtv/

/etc/fstab has entry for any additional partitions/disks - also check
ownership of mythtv directories/files should be mythtv:mythtv after
mythtv has been installed.

If using ACPI Wakeup to control mythtv  (power down when not in use) any
required scripts have been recreated.

For any remote frontends you will need to change password in config.xml
on those frontends as the new install of mythtv on the backend will have
generated a new password (in my view, easier than messing around with
mysql to change mythtv password). The new password can be found in
/etc/mythtv/config.xml

For database restore may need --drop_database --create_database
add --verbose to the mythconverg_restore.pl command line (will show what
it is doing along with any errors).

Mike