[mythtv-users] Recording IPTV?

Ian Cameron mkbloke at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 16:39:42 UTC 2020

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 at 23:06, Peter Carlsson <maillist.peter at home.se> wrote:

> At my first attempt VLC did not play any audio but maybe that is
> perhaps solved by adding an argument to streamlink.

You should not need any command line arguments to enable the audio.  I have
just tested both SVT1 and SVT2 via Tor, configured with an exit node in
Sweden.  Both produce audio and video for me.  That would suggest there's
an audio problem at your end, as I see that the svtplayer plugin in
streamlink has not changed for almost 2 years now.  Are you able to get
audio via vlc from another video source, such as a local file?

Are you using a streamlink release or have you downloaded from the git
master repo?  Installing master in a virtual env, as described at
https://streamlink.github.io/install.html#source-code could be worth a try,
to see if it fixes the audio issue.  You might be better off using this set
up anyway, because when web sites get changed and plugins are fixed
accordingly, you can simply do a pip upgrade from master, otherwise you'd
need to wait a lot longer to get that fix in a full release.

> I can not use your https://www.svtplay.se URLs to test with from here
> > in New Zealand - it looks like they are geolocked to only be
> > accessible from your part of the world.  I just get a 404 error.
>
> According to streamlink: "Streams may be geo-restricted to Sweden."

Yes, they are.

I have been in contact with both Telia and SVT and they both responded
> something similar to:
>   "Unfortunately, there is nothing we can help with. According to our
>   agreements on rights and retransmission, the channels can only be
>   viewed through the platforms we offer."

To be expected, unfortunately.

So I guesss my best option would be to use streamlink together with a
> MythTV external recorder?
>
> Would a "Generic" External Recorder be enough or do I need some more
> sophisticated?

I would have thought so.  I have no direct experience of configuring a
generic external recorder, but having briefly looked at the info and
example config files, that would appear to be the simplest solution to set
up.

--
Cheers, Ian