[mythtv-users] Lirc keycodes and Myth remote

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 18:44:45 UTC 2020

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:29 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:41:00 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >This is probably an easy question bordering on a dumb question but I have
> >been googling and trying things all morning and nothing works.
> >
> >I want to add a command to my programmable learning remote. I first set it
> >up 10 years ago so do not remember what I did except that I used an old
> >remote, captured the key codes, then used them to set up lircrc and my
> >remote. All I want to do is find a key code that is not used and map it to
> >"T" so I can toggle CC with a single press of my remote.
> >
> >My problem is that I cannot figure out how to read the key presses of my
> >old remote. irw will read the key presses of my learning remote but not
> the
> >old remote. I tried ir-keytable but I get an error "/sys/class/rc/: No
> such
> >file or directory" and googling for solutions there offers suggestions
> that
> >do not work.
> >
> >My question is: how do I read the keycodes of my old remote? If I can do
> >that, I can edit lircrc and add my new command.
> >
> >Allen
>
> Shut down lirc and run:
>
> sudo ir-keytable -t
>
> That should show you what each key on your remote is when you press
> it.
>
> You may need to work out which IR receiver you are using if there is
> more than one.  Use:
>
> sudo ir-keytable
>
> to show all the IR receivers, then add a "-s rc1" option for example
> to select the second (rc1) receiver.
>
> To shut down lirc on systemd based systems (Ubuntu, Debian, ...), do
> this:
>
> sudo systemctl stop lircd
>
> and to restart it afterwards:
>
> sudo systemctl start lircd

dad at NewMyth:~$ sudo systemctl stop lircd
Failed to stop lircd.service: Unit lircd.service not loaded.
dad at NewMyth:~$ ps aux | grep lirc
root      1081  0.0  0.0   6352   260 ?        Ss   10:39   0:00 lircd -H
udp -d 5000
dad       2136  0.0  0.0   4688   868 pts/0    S+   10:42   0:00 grep
--color=auto lirc
dad at NewMyth:~$ sudo kill 1081
dad at NewMyth:~$ sudo ir-keytable -t
/sys/class/rc/: No such file or directory
dad at NewMyth:~$ sudo ir-keytable
/sys/class/rc/: No such file or directory
dad at NewMyth:~$

I think this may have something to do with the IR being in an HDHomerun. I
really don't know.

But I found an unused keycode and can use that key on the old remote to
program the new one so I think this will work fine.

Allen