[mythtv-users] Storage directory file system: too easy to unmount?

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Thu Feb 13 16:30:07 UTC 2020

Recently, after adjusting the mount points for a few NFS file systems,
work that involved unmounting several file systems unrelated to MythTV,
I visited MythWeb's Recorded Programs page and discovered that all of
the recordings lacked a thumbnail...the last time I'd checked they all
had thumbnails. Then I ran mythfrontend and went into Watch Recordings.
Every recording showed a gray status. Not good!

Then I thought back to what I'd just been working on with mount points
so I ran 'df'. What had happened is I'd accidentally unmounted the file
system that holds my MythTV storage directories. This was possible
because evidently mythfrontend & mythbackend only open files in the
storage directories when they are working with them, so if no program is
being recorded or watched the file system is free of activity and is
thus free to be unmounted. MythWeb's thumbnails reappeared as soon as I
mounted the file system. If I'd not discovered the unmounted file system
I suppose I'd have had some failed recordings.

Is there anything I can do to prevent my storage directory file system
from being unmounted while MythTV is running or do I just need to be
more careful in the future?

Thanks,
Dave