[mythtv-users] Moved to Intel NUC - no sound & IR

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 21:20:07 UTC 2020

James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

>> OK, got Devuan Ascii (amd64) installed, and aplay will make noises now.
>> Mind you, that was fun. I tried various images, but all I got was "isolinux.bin is missing or corrupt" - I can't remember the last time I actually had to burn an image to CD rather than a USB stick !
>
> This does not sound ok. I’ve made a usb stick for: xubuntu, lubuntu, debial (stretch), SuSE Leap. SuSE Tumbleweed, arch, various manjaro all of which work perfectly on a range of gen-5,6,7,8 nucs of various flavors (caleron, i3, i5).

When I looked it up, it seems to be a common(ish) problem where some combinations of BIOS and isolinux do this. Work fine from optical media, but not from USB. Seems to run from USB it requires some sort of optical drive emulation support from the BIOS - which isn't always 100% correct.

The wiki details building, and it is very easy. To give an overview

> apt-get install build essential
> apt-get install apt-file    (that is so useful: apt-file update; apt-file search obscure.h)
> follow the wiki to install ansible
> configure
> make
> make install
>
> So instead of searching for debs, just build it

OK, I'll give that some thought next time I get a chance to play.

Still fiddling with some of the basics - like auto-login to a desktop, and disabling the screen saver. None of them difficult, just a matter of finding time :-(

Simon