[mythtv-users] recording groups and categories

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Dec 27 02:15:51 UTC 2020

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 17:47:30 +0100, you wrote:

>Le 25/12/2020 à 21:38, Ian Cameron a écrit :
>> On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 at 18:02, Klaus Becker <colonius47 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:colonius47 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     But I see that categories do not work very well, so I created my own
>>     groups. Maybe categories work fine in english, but I use mythtv in
>>     german and I have only german recordings.
>>
>>     Is there a way to manage categories (rename, create, delete and so on) ?
>>

>> How are you getting your listings?  Are you using XMLTV?
>
>I have no grabber, but I get program listings for german tv. There is no
>problem about that.
>
>I use Debian, xmltv is not installed.
>
>I tried some grabbers for german or european tv, but they do not work.

If you need to process the EIT EPG data before it gets into the
database, you can use epgsnoop to fetch the EPG data in XMLTV format.
There are complications in doing this, as epgsnoop needs to be able to
use a tuner, and it conflicts with mythbackend using the same tuner. I
do something like this, but I do not have tuner conflicts as I have
spare tuners dedicated to fetching EPG data (my DVB-T2 and DVB-S2
cards have 8 tuners each).  As long as you are not using live TV much,
so there is no sudden demand for a tuner going to happen, then you
could use something like my "gaps" program to find out when the
recording schedule has 10 minutes for epgsnoop to run in.

However, while grabbing the EIT data this way does allow for
processing it (which is very necessary here in New Zealand), you would
lose the up to date EIT data that tells you about late schedule
changes just before they happen.

I also have an SQL script that does some editing of the EPG data when
it is in the database.  I found it was easier to do some edits with
simple SQL rather than writing complicated code to do those edits
before the data got into the database.  That works well for me as that
script is run immediately after the EPG data goes into the database.
But doing it for EIT data collected all the time by mythbackend would
be problematic, as the script would need to be run frequently all day.