[mythtv-users] recording groups and categories

Klaus Becker colonius47 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 16:55:17 UTC 2020

Le 25/12/2020 à 20:41, Peter Bennett a écrit :

> On 12/25/20 1:01 PM, Klaus Becker wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do not really understand the difference between recording groups and
>> categories.
>>
>> Categories are given by myhttv and groups are created by the user.
>>
>> But I see that categories do not work very well, so I created my own
>> groups. Maybe categories work fine in english, but I use mythtv in
>> german and I have only german recordings.
>>
>> Is there a way to manage categories (rename, create, delete and so on) ?
>>
>> Now I have some entries (for example "Science Fiction") in groups and
>> in categories, that's a pity.
>>
>> I searched in the mythtv wiki, but I could not find the answer to my
>> questions.
>>
>> sincerely
>>
>> Klaus
>>
> You set up your own recording groups, however you want. Most people set
> up recording groups for who wants to watch, for example a recording
> group for children, one for wife, etc.

Yes, I created a recording group for my daughter, and "standard" is for
my. But later I created recording groups for me, like "Western",
"Science Fiction" and so on. It gives me a better overview about
recordings for me.

You can specify a recording group
> in the recording rule, and those recordings go into that group. If you
> do not specify a group, all recordings go into "Default". You can also
> change recordings already made to a different group using the menu.
>
> There is a special recording group for Live TV and another special
> recording group for deleted shows.
>
> Catregories are set by the listings service, so you have no control over
> them. If the listing service decides a show is "Crime Drama" that is
> what you will see, even if you think it is actually comedy.

Ok, I understand. I would like to delete these automatic recording
groups, but obviously I have to deal with it.

> Peter

Thanks for your answer

Klaus