[mythtv-users] SystemD (Was: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Dec 24 11:18:58 UTC 2020

On 24/12/2020 04:06, marcus hall wrote:

> I had at the time installed an override file with Restart=always and
> RestartSec=3 in it.  As you pointed out, that might flood things if
> mythbackend started failing rapidly, but it seemed like a "good enough"
> fix.  But, systemd fires up mythbackend once and then leaves it in a
> failed state.

That may appear to be the case but not always. Sometimes it shows you the "failed state" even though
a subsequent attempt has actually got $PROGRAM running properly. Sometimes the journal has rolled
over between attempts and what you are seeing is the last entry of the previous journal.

Ask me how I know...

I always do a "ps -ef" to see what is /actually/ running in these circumstances. systemd fights
tooth and nail to avoid showing you any meaningful information.

--

Mike Perkins