[mythtv-users] SystemD (Was: Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS)

marcus hall marcus at equinox.tuells.org
Thu Dec 24 00:10:43 UTC 2020

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 02:39:17PM +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> How about giving us a bit more detail about the problem so we can
> help?  The output into mythbackend.log and the output of "journalctl
> -eu mythbackend" would be a start.  And "systemctl cat mythbackend",
> so we can see exactly what the unit files are.

I've pretty much given up trying to get systemd to work.  This was a year or
two ago and my recollection matches what Geoff had posted that mythbackend
wasn't starting because mariadb wasn't really ready.  That's your main
guess as well.  I'm not particularly concerned about that, but rather
why systemd doesn't try to run mythbackend again.

> Using "Restart=always" can be a big problem when you run up against a
> new bug in an update of a program that causes it to crash at startup.
> It will then keep on restarting and filling up the logs, until the
> logs fill the partition and the system dies.  So it is normally best
> to set a maximum number of retries.  I would suggest that you add
> something like:
>
> [Service]
> StartLimitBurst=10
> StartLimitInterval=60s
>
> to prevent that.

I may try this sometime, although it's addressing an issue of systemd
getting run away restarting mythbackend, which is the opposite to my
issue.  The mythtv system seems to get rebooted once or twice a year,
and I've just resigned myself to having to manually start mythbackend
whenever that happens.  It's the path of least resistance at this point.

marcus hall
marcus at tuells.org