[mythtv-users] Chromecast with Google TV

Bob Long bob at oblong.com.au
Mon Dec 21 02:01:06 UTC 2020

I can't remember seeing this device (the new Chromecast with Google TV,
"CCwGTV") being discussed here.

But I recently installed Mythfrontend successfully on two of these
devices. I had to go through a "sideload" process, but all went pretty
smoothly, and the end result is very good. Code from
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android.

The CCwGTV remote works well enough. The only problem is that it nothing
can be typed directly from it (any text entry screens do present an
on-screen keyboard). For example, the main issue I had was when viewing
Videos: I could not type "M" to change the layout from grid to list. Nor
can that be done to re-scan and refresh the video list: that has to be
done by other means on another device.

But there are some work-arounds for that. In my case, as I needed to
change the video layout only once, I connected a USB-C powered hub and
connected a keyboard to that. Mythfrontend then recognised that keyboard.

The CCwGTV also has Bluetooth, so a Bluetooth keyboard also works.

Additionally, some USB hubs with Ethernet are recognised and will allow
wired network connection if Wi-Fi is weak.

Perhaps the Wiki should be updated to include the CCwGTV?

--

Bob Long