[mythtv-users] Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 16:02:41 UTC 2020

I should perhaps comment that the Death of CentOS may have been 'greatly
exaggerated' with el7 support still supposedly available until 2024.

I'm running MythTV master in an el7-near-clone, although that does
entail quite a lot of hoop-jumping and use of alternative repos.  I note
that the MythTV test builds for el7, which probably used vanilla CentOS
7 and were routinely failing, have now been discontinued.

Much of the computing in the particle physics community, in which
experiments often have overall lives of many years, has been built
around el variants.  Of course there isn't much emphasis on TV hardware,
and general availability might not be automatic.

Here's the text of an announcement on the Scientific Linux users' list
today:
  > CERN and Fermilab acknowledge the recent decision to shift focus
from CentOS Linux to CentOS Stream, and the sudden change of the end of
life of the CentOS 8 release. This may entail significant consequences
for the worldwide particle physics community. We are currently
investigating together the best path forward. We will keep you informed
about any developments in this area during Q1 2021.

John P