[mythtv-users] Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Dec 17 02:38:49 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-16 4:31 a.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 04:25:09 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>> No, why should I be bitter, just because some random out of nowhere obsoleted
>> in about 3 years what I'd spent 30 years getting good at?  No motivation there
>> at all...
>
> You might want to reconsider that a little.  I started out very
> sceptical about systemd.  And I still not a fan of the "one systemd to
> rule them all" concept.  But I have now used systemd quite a bit and
> so far I have found that using systemd to run things is dramatically
> better than init scripts.  When you had to write an init script, that
> was a mini-project on its own getting it to do everything needed - it
> took ages.  Using systemd to start a program is usually easy - just
> add the options you want and it often works first time.  And a huge
> plus is that the program does not need to be written with a daemon
> mode - in fact, running it as a daemon takes more effort with systemd
> than running it as a normal program.  I do not like the logs going
> into journals so much though - that makes it difficult to access them
> when booted from a live USB or PXE image to do repairs or discover why
> things went wrong.
>
> Over time systemd has got better too, with some of the niggly little
> things fixed by new options.  I really like just being able to now do
> "systemctl edit" to create a new override file.  And some things I
> hate are things I can fix myself.  Why on earth they thought that
> having to type "systemctl" and "journalctl" all the time was a good
> idea I have no clue.  Commands that are used often should be short. So
> I have aliased them to "sc" and "jc".
>
> The option to have an early start / late shutdown root debug shell is
> also extremely valuable when debugging startup and shutdown problems.

So what you are saying is that it was NOT actually ready for prime time
when it was released. Which many people complained about. It was a
replay of pulseaudio, which also was not ready for prime time when released.

Both are quite a bit better now, after huge amounts of effort by lots of
people to fix the stupid design decisions made by LP, except that
nothing has been done for the journal logs being incomprehensible and
not available *unless systemd is running*...