[mythtv-users] Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Dec 15 23:07:45 UTC 2020

On 15/12/2020 18:05, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Ben <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and Plex) on the same box.
>
> Can't speak for the non-Myth stuff, but my backend and frontends all run Devuan now - what Debian would be if they'd not succumbed to the dark side of systemd.

I have tried Devuan and it would indeed, be suitable for myth front and backends.

However...

Despite telling you during installation that "everything is your choice" the default install desktop
is effectively forced to be xfce, whereas I prefer LXDE.

The "debootstrap" code was seriously borked when I tried it, and you could not install the same
version in, for example, a VM as the version you were running, only the 'next' version. WTF? That
killed using it for a KVM server stone dead.

As I also run LTSP here, and debootstrap is used for the clients, that was a no-no too. I understand
that the 'new' version of LTSP will work properly, haven't tried that on Devuan lately.

YMMV...

--

Mike Perkins