[mythtv-users] Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS

Jeremy D. Eiden theonlyrealperson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 03:13:45 UTC 2020

On 12/14/20 4:44 PM, James Linder wrote:

>> On 15 Dec 2020, at 5:33 am, Jeremy D. Eiden <theonlyrealperson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've had great luck with OpenSuse.  YMMV.  I don't think the releases last quite as long as CentOS, but upgrading stable versions can be done on the fly.
>>
>> On 12/14/20 2:24 AM, Ben wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server from CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer going to be what CentOS was...
>>>
>>> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and Plex) on the same box.
>>>
>>> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some VirtualBox VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
>>>
>>> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.
> I use openSuSE as my main backend and on various frontends, I like it and their philosophy but it is much more tricky to get setup. EG if you are going to get packages from pacman then mythweb does/did not work.
> If you are at all naive about unix or building or myth setup then ubuntu holds your hand, but you are out of luck if you don't like chocolate flavour, that's all they do.
> James

I don't disagree with that, there is some tinkering you need to do to
use Packman's myth builds.  Not only mythweb, but also getting the
database to network if you have a remote backend.

It's not a lot of tinkering, but there is some. YAST makes it easier to
get it to work if you don't like digging through config files.

I guess I've been running OpenSuse for so long I forgot things I had to
do like that.

Jeremy