[mythtv-users] Recommended Linux Distro post CentOS

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:17:00 UTC 2020

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 2:26 AM Ben <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I figured I'd ask here because the main goals of updating my server from
> CentOS 6 to --- well, no longer CentOS 8 since it's no longer going to be
> what CentOS was...
>
> I'm wondering who is using what for their home servers for MythTV (and
> Plex) on the same box.
>
> I also use desktop apps on this same system as well as run some VirtualBox
> VMs (Windows and Raspbian)
>
> So with that -- I'd like to hear from the group what people have been
> happy with that's LTS-ish like CentOS was.
>
> Thanks,
>
>   -Ben

The owner of our company asked me this just last Friday.  CentOS Stream is
obviously what you are referring to as well.  Just do not use Stream.  Grab
the non-Stream ISO.  Fedora used to be the pre-cursor testing platform for
RHEL and now that they bought CentOS, (I guess) maybe they want to utilize
the CentOS engineering expertise for their future releases rather than let
them keep cloning for no reason.  It will be interesting how this shakes
out because Fedora is bleeding edge like Ubuntu.  I would *never* run
either variant on a production server, but the CentOS Stream is less
bleeding edge, but more of a rolling upgrade system.  Makes me wonder is
RHEL is headed that way like Arch Linux, Gentoo, etc.  It is a *way* better
model if you do not have your own kernel drivers, etc involved.  I hope
RHEL moves to this model, because as well all know with the distros that
use fixed kernel bases for *years* on a release, only the users suffer.
The stability is great, but the features never come unless you kernel bump
anyway.  Lokk at this lists threads of people having to enable kernel repos
to compile MythTV alone :)

Anyway, I think Fedora will still be the baseline for the kernel and
hopefully Stream will be the moving package repo (hopefully).  Noone really
knows from the vague reports.  RHEL has actually not released anything to
confirm these suspicions yet :)

-Greg