[mythtv-users] Tearing with Nvidia Driver 455.45

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 11:57:46 UTC 2020

On 12/9/20 6:44 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 21:46:20 -0500, you wrote:

>>> That sounds like a good theory, but you would need to test it.  I have
>>> no idea if you are right or not.
>> I put in the Composite disable and my Cinammon Desktop would not boot,
>> so that answers that.  I'm happy with the way the OpenGL software only
>> solution is working. a 6 core 12 thread Ryzen 5 can make up for a lot.
>>
>> Jim A
> A quick web search for "Cinnamon Desktop" and "composite" seems to
> show that Cinnamon uses compositing for desktop effects - so turning
> it off might be a problem without turning off those effects first.  If
> so, then Cinnamon is probably not a good desktop to use with MythTV.

At this point, Cinnamon Desktop is more important than Mythtv on those 2
machines because they are more personal computers than MythTV frontends.
My wife uses the FireTV 4K stick and I use Nvidia Shield TV for 99% of
our TV watching, a combination of Mythtv recordings and internet
streaming services.

However when I've used MythTV on any of our PCs the GT-710 and GT-1030
have performed well using the Software OpenGL Normal profile.

So that's a long way around saying that having Compositing on isn't
really a problem for us.

Thanks,

Jim A