[mythtv-users] Best tuner?

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Sun Dec 6 19:34:06 UTC 2020

On 12/6/20 6:45 AM, Barry Martin wrote:

> DaveD and James:
>
>> Any suggestion that tuners don?t count but antenna does needs a few
>> grains of salt.
>> Using a bunny-ears to the test backends gives nearly the same
>> performance!
>
> Over a year ago created a new BackEnd using a Hauppauge 1609: quad
> tuner.  The old system used their 1600 and 2250.  Antenna untouched;
> the new tuner took care of 99% of my previous pixellation and dropout
> issues.
>
> Antenna positioning, coax quality, and other hardware factors are also
> important, but the newer generation of tuners are better at
> compensating for signal strength variations due to wind.  FWIW I
> actually have two antenna systems here: both antennae are essentially
> identical (same model, purchased maybe six months apart).  One goes to
> the Backend. the other to the TVs.  Whole bunch of variables due to
> the distribution but some TVs are better able to display when it's
> windy, some are not.  The older and cheaper TVs will break up while
> the newer and better TVs will have an essentially solid display.  And
> there have been times we've switched from OTA TV to Live TV via MythTV
> because of the poor signal.
>
> So yes, the tuner makes as much difference as the antenna does.
>
> Barry

The 1609 sounds perfect.  I googled it and Amazon has 3 sellers from
$230 to $250, and the $230 is back-ordered, due in-stock Dec 15.  So I
checked Hauppauge's site, and their store has if for $120.  This is
odd.  Anyway, I ordered one as well as one of their dual USB sticks.
Hope this eliminates those dropouts.  Thanks for the info.

Dave D.