[mythtv-users] new PC build that's MythTV compatible

TimP mythtv at corky.co
Thu Dec 3 17:06:15 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-03 16:50, David Watkins wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 at 16:31, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 at 14:33, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote: On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 12:27:31 +0000, you wrote:
>

>>> What are your HD recording filesizes, in GB/hour?
>>
>> In the UK I generally see 1.3GB to 2GB/hour
>>
>> SD is normally around 750MB/hour
>>
>> It can vary significantly though depending on the channel and programme.
>> Should be a reasonable indication of the compression.
>
> If that is H.265 it might be ok, but if it is H.264 then it is not
> what I would call HD.  Here in New Zealand our DVB-T HD programmes
> (H.264) are over 3 Gibytes per hour.  But when they first started,
> when there were fewer channels, they were 4.5-5.5 Gibytes per hour.
> And recently the only satellite service (Sky TV NZ) has converted all
> their transponders from DVB-S to DVB-S2 and a number of their channels
> are now around 4 Gibytes per hour.
>
> That's interesting. What I said is typical of what I'm getting though here in the UK.
>
> I wonder if I should be getting 1080?
>
> My TV is 42" 1080. So not so big, and my old eyes are fairly happy with the HD quality I'm getting.  The only thing I find poor is large black areas, which can be very blocky.
>
> I can feel a bit of research coming on.

>From the BBC Website

> To be classed as "true" high definition, we encode in at least 1280x720 resolution or 720p. We use h.264 with a bitrate of 3.2Mbps (going up to 5Mbps for best quality, should your connection allow) and 128kbps audio. This means that streaming programmes in HD quality will put demands on your network connection

By my calculation 3.2Mbps = 1.44 GBytes/hour.  So I'm not losing
anything.  That's what they're sending me.

But this thread is about broadcast and not streaming. I'm getting about
2GBytes per hour from a Freeview HD tuner for BBC One. Your mileage will
vary, especially on the commercial muxes where channel numbers seem to
be more important than quality. Freeview uses stochastic compression to
share variable compression rates between all the channels in real time.
Your beautiful wildlife scenery panning shot might go lumpy if someone
on the jewellery channel starts throwing glitter around.

CHeers,

Tim.