[mythtv-users] new PC build that's MythTV compatible

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Thu Dec 3 10:31:33 UTC 2020

On 02/12/2020 23:34, James Linder wrote:

>> On 2 Dec 2020, at 5:57 pm, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>>

>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Take your pick https://jell.yfish.us/
>>> depending on what you have hardware support for :)
>
> Stuart thanks.
> The quality of playback of the various 1080 jellyfish snips is way better than my OTA recordings, so my issue is NOT a mythtv render/playback one.
> Both my mac and linux front end display the same issue and the test clips are good so my focus must be backend right?
> The bit rate is not going to affect quality of slow moving jellyfish right?

You might be running into the common problem of the broadcaster
compressing the crap out of the content to save bandwidth.

How do they make space for new channels???
Reduce the bandwidth of the existing channels (ie. reduce the quality)
and add a new channel in. *OR* they switch to a different encoding.
MPEG2 takes up more bandwidth than H264 for the same content quality.
H265 is even better...

It's not so prevalent on terrestrial broadcasts, but happens far more
often on satellite tv.

Sometimes I think that the quality of an "HD" channel these days is
about the same as the "SD" channels from a few years back.

Regards
Stuart