[mythtv-users] new PC build that's MythTV compatible

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Tue Dec 1 11:45:28 UTC 2020

> On 1 Dec 2020, at 6:30 pm, Owen <manicmoose at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 13:51, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>

> > On 3 Nov 2020, at 8:14 pm, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Sadly, there are no Australian channels doing 1080p - the best they do is 1080i ... which as Stephen mentioned, often results in judder/jagging for sport or panning type movies if not dealt with correctly.
>
> I recorded a few HD and ‘ordinary’ channels at the same time. (Australia ABC, SBS, 7, 9)
> Looking at a paused scene in each recording they are, as far as I can see, identical.
>
> Is this an artifact of TV in Australia or of mythtv rendering?
> ie to paraphrase I see no difference on HD recordings, even though the HD recordings are larger.
> eg
> I look at some of Attenbourgh, pause playback and examin the insect's eyes . . .
> James
>

> I can only suggest that you must need a new Telly, or new eyes. ;-)
> There's a massive difference between HD/SD channels when I look at them - even live - I don't need to pause it to see the difference, it's extremely noticeable.

Owen thanks very much.
These are two screen shots on a macbook retina display (2650x1650) ish
They look similar on intel-1080 monitor. I'll examin a real TV now.
They are ABC SD and HD. My critical look is at the text, but scene changes do not make much difference.
http://tigger.ws/downloads/twoSD.png
http://tigger.ws/downloads/twoHD.png
Cheers
James