[mythtv-users] mythtv on Raspberry 4 4GB with 64 bit OS's

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 22:08:59 UTC 2020

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 8:25 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 10:47 AM Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 5:23 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I have tried just about every combination, but best results seem to be
>>> with standard, 4 CPUs, OpenGL decode and deinterlacers.
>>>

>> I too had an issue with jerky playback on v31 using a Pi 4. My wife said
>> it was OK to her, but it actually made me start to feel a little nauseous
>> after a few minutes of trying to watch a hockey game.
>>
>> Then I found this:
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#RPi4_Specific
>>
>> It uses "MMAL" as decoder; I have no idea what that means, but when I
>> followed the directions here to set up a new playback profile and set
>> Mythfrontend to use it, it now works flawlessly with no jerkiness.
>>
>> --Greg
>>

> Greg,
>
> Those are the settings I'm using and for most things it's fine. There are
> some scenes like a headshot  where the guy shakes his head and it looks
> like some frames were skipped. Minor annoyances. I have test watched an NHL
> hockey game recently and it was not bad, but after a few minutes I
> switched back to my Shield TV to watch it remotely from the RPI4 backend.

  Yeah, i agree mpeg2 on the Pi 4 is horrible no matter what you do. It got
a little better a few days ago with a recent kernel upgrade. I am running
now an overclocked Pi 4 with no X server, the video is watchable, but still
sucks compared with other players like Kodi for the same file.  You can
follow what I have tried to smooth things at the forums,
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3791.