[mythtv-users] Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 12:14:18 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 3:23 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 10:44 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What are the chances that I could compile mythtv light for a RPi4 running
>> the 64 bit version of the OS and have it work?
>>
>> Jim A.
>>

> Now that this is complete I've listed the instructions I used below:
>

>    1. Use raspberry imager to install RPI OS 64 beta on SDcard
>    2. Boot and fully update and reboot
>    3. Use SD card copy accessory to copy SD to usb ssd
>    4. Boot ssd (this assumes you've installed the USB bootloader on RPI4
>    eeprom)
>    5. Setup udev rules for ssd and enable/start fstrim.timer
>    6. Setup to auto login console using raspi-config
>    7. Get pi-utils (https://github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils)
>    8. Build script for non-ansible dependencies omitting libcrystalhd-dev
>    and libmysqlclient-dev
>    9. Run above script
>    10. sudo apt install qt5-default
>    11. Follow 'build from source' to get mythtv (
>    https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source)

Not sure if you run linux on your workstation, but you can run Qemu on it
and create an ARM guest (same guest OS as raspbian, etc) to compile all the
software and then just copy the packages over.  I know my laptop is leaps
and bounds faster than the Pi.  Compiling MythTV may not be too slow, but
compiling kernels, etc - you can see a great speedup.  Also, using distcc
will greatly improve speed.  If you cannot tell, I hate waiting on
computers :)

Just food for thought.