[mythtv-users] Mythtv on Raspberry PI OS 64 bits

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 13:48:58 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 8:52 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 7:08 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 6:37 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> A buddy of mine uses rPi(s) in a product he sells.  I have found Arch
>>> Linux to be a very good platform for packages because of their AUR repo.
>>> Ubuntu is also now available on them.  Have either of you tried those?  Do
>>> you have a SATA adapter for faster storage, or just using the frontend?
>>> From Jims note about mythweb I assume it is a BE/FE combo.
>>>
>>> Greg, I forgot your questions about SATA adapters.  I've updated all my
>> RPI4's to have the latest bootloader that can USB boot.  So when I
>> installed the RPI OS (64) beta, I updated it fully and used the Accessory
>> SD copier program to copy the SD to a USB3 connected SATA HD. I need to buy
>> another SATA SSD to judge performance because I'm only using an old WD Blue
>> 2.5 HD right now. I use the Eluteng USB3 to SATA adapter because it's cheap
>> and uses the known to work ASMedia chip.(
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716JKJ68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>> )
>> It's $7.99 right now.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> Thanks for the info Jim.  I'll play with it this weekend again, but it is
> just tinkering.  I have plenty or compute power for my backend already with
> a NFS backend, but it is always fun to play around with this stuff :)

Certainly understand the tinkering. Last week I had to refinish a table for
my son, but was tired of scrubbing stain off my hands. No back to mysql
tables :-)

I have completed the Mythtv combo on RPI OS 64 bits.  The key is get the
latest beta and updates for it.   Then follow the Build from Source wiki.
Can't use  ansible. need to force the install part to ./usr/bin to make
things easier. Then use the pi-mythbackend-setup.sh from Mike B.

I now have backend, and frontend, running with XMLTV using
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite as my grabber.  The quality of the video for mpeg2
OTA using the software only opengl on the RPI4 is working pretty good right
now on fixes/31 v31.0-85-...

Jim A