[mythtv-users] Black screen after idle

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Aug 20 05:18:50 UTC 2020

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 19:08:05 -0700, you wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 2:37 AM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/1085807/black-screen-after-installation-of-ubuntu-18-04
>> >)

>> >I have the same issue (Ubuntu 18.04/Myth30) but in my case hitting the
>> >Enter button on the remote restores normal operation so I haven't paid
>> >much attention.
>> >

>> I have had this one once recently.  It went away when I hit the shift
>> key, which is what screen savers do.  I had to reboot to stop it
>> happening all the time, so it must be something that only happens on
>> occasional boots as I have not seen it before.
>>
>> Apart from the power and screen saver settings, the other thing that
>> needs to be set off is the DPMS option in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>>
>> Section "Monitor"
>>         Identifier "Sony TV"
>>         Option "DPMS"   "false"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Just had the problem reoccur so got to try these fixes.  Hitting shift did
>nothing.  Hitting enter played a recorded show, with audio but no video bc
>the screen is black.  esc stopped the playback.  ctl-alt-f1 does nothing.
>SSH from another machine and try @Stehpen's fix restarting lightdm and I
>get " Unit lightdm.service not found."  This reboot will install the edit
>to xorg.conf so we will see if that helps.

From that, I would say that you are not using lightdm as your display
manager.  Other display managers do not restart as well as lightdm, so
you might want to switch from whatever you are currently using (gdm?
gdm3?) to lightdm:

https://vitux.com/some-common-ubuntu-display-managers-and-how-to-switch-between-them/

I changed to using lightdm on my Ubuntu 18.04 box when I upgraded it
from 16.04 to 18.04 after I found that gdm had a bug that made my VNC
server (x11vnc) fail to work.

For XFCE4 (Xubuntu) on my MythTV boxes, I was able to re-enable
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace by adding this line:

XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

to my /etc/default/keyboard file.  Note that restarting X does not get
this option working - I had to do a full reboot.

I have also seen suggestions that even with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
disabled, you can use AltGr-SysReq-K to do the same thing.  AltGr =
the right Alt key, SysReq = PrintScrn if your keyboard does not have
those markings.  That one did not work for me when I tried it on my
test Xubuntu 20.04.1 box, which has a clean new install of Xubuntu
20.04.1.