[mythtv-users] Black screen after idle

DryHeat122 dryheat122 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 22:57:25 UTC 2020

I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04/Myth 31.  I leave the frontend running
all the time and just turn off the monitor when I'm not watching anything.
Twice now, the following has happened.  After the system has sat idle for
some time (overnight this time) I turn on the monitor and the screen is
black.  I cannot change to a terminal window with ctl-alt-F2.  However, I
can SSH to the myth box from another machine and issue terminal commands
just fine.  Rebooting fixes the problem.  I have all the screen-saver and
sleep functionality turned off, and the monitor works fine on other inputs,
so I don't think it's either of those things.

I have searched the black screen symptom and the threads I find (for
example this one
<https://askubuntu.com/questions/1085807/black-screen-after-installation-of-ubuntu-18-04>)
are about this problem happening at boot, not after the machine has been
sitting idle for some time.  It also doesn't happen consistently, maybe
twice in the last couple weeks.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?  Any pointers for how to fix or
troubleshoot? Thanks......Steve