[mythtv-users] Mythtv 31 on a Zotac Ion

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Aug 14 18:03:12 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-14 6:58 a.m., Greg Oliver wrote:

>     The box only has 2GB RAM sadly, and the BIOS steals 512K of that(
>     onboard Graphics?), but one advantage of old hardware is I might be
>     able to find some DDR2 memory lying about the house somewhere.
>

> I have a bunch of ram stick from laptops I threw away or Acer Revos and
> other SBCs, etc that I have collected over the years.  If you want to
> send me a postage label, I will mail them all to you if you want them.
> They all work and have been in a drawer for several years now.
>
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-ODo1TRJMibjgUielDXQl-FTbr1PeWpc?usp=sharing
>
> If you want them - just ping me and I'll pack and ship them today if you
> can use any of it.
>
> -Greg

Unfortunately those are all SODIMMS. David needs 240 pin DIMMS. AND the
Zotac has only 2 memory sockets, so he needs at least 2x2G DIMM sticks.
I have a Zotac Ion, and set it up as a frontend when I got it (waaaay
back in 2009!). It was a very good frontend. Despite the small cooling
setup, it ran at 35C full out. It also ran for 9 straight years as a
VOIP server in my office, with a cumulative downtown which might have
totalled 30 minutes from power outages. Nice little motherboard, now
relegated to backup to the backup.

2G DDR2 DIMMs are very hard to find now.

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
              954 Owenwood Drive

       416-854-8160 newbury at mandamus.org