[mythtv-users] .ts files

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Aug 12 10:09:40 UTC 2020

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 18:49:20 +1000, you wrote:

>Hi
>
>I was rearranging my recordings recently and noticed a lot of files
>in the top level of my recording disks.
>The default storage group has these directories
> /var/lib/mythtv
> /data/disk1/mythtv/
> /data/disk2/mythtv/
>
>and in e.g /data/disk1/mythtv/ there sit numerous files named like
>1024_20180106082900.ts and 1024_20180106082900.ts.png.
>
>I can see they are MPEG transport stream data and .png thumbnails,
>and that the 1024_ prefix is the chanid and the rest a start date.
>But the question is what creates them and what should be cleaning
>them up?
>I can't find counterparts in the recordings/ or livetv subdirectories.
>All my recordings are DVB-T, no analog signals involved here.
>
>I haven't found anything in the wiki but I'm happy to add something
>if people can explain and steer me to the right place to edit.
>
>Kind regards

Those are recording files.  MythTV changed some time ago to using the
.ts extension for transport stream recordings (DVB, ATSC, ISDB, ...).
For a long time it used to put .mpg on the files, which is slightly
misleading as .mpg implies program streams and they were actually
transport streams.  But the content is what actually matters, not
whatever extension the file has on it.  If you are still doing
analogue recordings using things like a PVR-500 card, those should get
the .mpg extent ion still.  There are three valid extensions that
MythTV supports for recording files: .ts, .mpg and .nuv.  But if you
manually put a file into the database with a different extension, it
will not have a problem with playing it.  So if you have a user job
that converts your PVR-500 .mpg files to H.264 or H.265 and puts the
result in a .mp4 file, as long as the job script adjusts the file name
in the database from .mpg to .mp4, it will work fine.

To find out what one of your .ts files is, do this:

sudo mysql
use mythconverg;
select * from recorded where basename='<name of your .ts file>'\G
quit