[mythtv-users] NVIDIA Jetson Nano as Frontend?

Charlie Myth charliemyth at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 09:21:12 UTC 2020

On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 19:14, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/05/2019 13:49, Charlie Myth wrote:
>

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 at 17:59, Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/12/19 11:00 AM, Mike Bibbings wrote:
>> > Note that all playback (SD and HD) uses ffmpeg, not the tegra GPU
>>

> Would this be able to do the hardware decoding and de-interlacing using
> NVDEC? https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13357#no1
>
> Possibly in 30.1?

> I have tried source build of mythtv master, which should have nvdec
> support, but  ./configure reports "nvdec no", even with switch --enable
> nvdec.
>
> Also a recent NVIDIA post indicates no support with ffmpeg on jetson nano
> see
> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1051471/ffmpeg-build-with-nvdec-or-cuvid-for-hw-accelerated-decoding/
>

> Mike

Hi Mike (et al)

Old thread I know, but there may have been some progress on this:

https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/index.html#page/Tegra%2520Linux%2520Driver%2520Package%2520Development%2520Guide%2Fmultimedia.html%23wwpID0E0JB0HA
Accelerated Decode with ffmpeg

Decode Functional Flow
<https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide/multimedia.html#wwpID0ERHA>
The NVIDIA ffmpeg package supports hardware-accelerated decode on Jetson
platforms.
An application can use accelerated decode to read video files in the
following elementary/container formats and dump them in YUV 420 format:
• H.264
• H.265
• VP8
• VP9
• MPEG2
• MPEG4

..although the FAQ seems at odds with this:

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/jetson-nano-faq/82953

*Q: Is hardware acceleration enabled in ffmpeg?*
A: It is not supported in default releases. We are evaluating to support it
in future release.
A community contribution is shared. Please check
https://github.com/jocover/jetson-ffmpeg
25 <https://github.com/jocover/jetson-ffmpeg>

perhaps the github offering will work.

Anyone with a Jetson think it is worth giving it a try?

Cheers