[mythtv-users] Sound configuration problem in v31

Bob Sully malibyte56 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 01:43:14 UTC 2020

Hi all -

Recently upgraded to v31 from v30 via the mythbuntu repository on Ubuntu
18.04 (waiting for 20.04.1 before upgrading the OS).

Everything seemed to go smoothly...until I tried to play a recording and
got the dreaded red X with no sound.

Went into Setup/Audio and set the input to CARD:HDMI 3 (HDMI via NVidia
card, which it's been using for years).
The audio test seemed to be fine - got white noise on all five speakers and
the subwoofer.  Exited and saved the configuration, but the sound still did
not work (same symptom - red X and no sound output), and when I go back
into Setup, it then says that the setting is invalid.

In the past (v30 and earlier), I'd only get the annoying red X if something
else on the BE/FE computer was using sound (e.g. a browser playing a
YouTube video or VLC playing a video or .mp3 file).

What's up?

Thanks in advance!

Bob