[mythtv-users] android mythfrontend timeline issue fixed?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 19:14:16 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 1:08 PM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 7:09 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/5/20 8:53 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>>
>> Until recently I've been use the Android mythfrontend (
>> mythfrontend-20200323-arm64-v31.0.apk
>> <https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/generic/mythtv_31/android_64/:mythfrontend-20200323-arm64-v31.0.apk>)
>> on my Nvidia Shield TV.
>>
>> I was having a problem with watching in-progress recordings when I used
>> the down arrow to advance 10 minutes if that was the first press of any
>> direction key at a point 10-20 minutes into a viewing session. When I did
>> this it skipped more than 10 minutes.
>>
>> This week I built the apk from source using master
>> (mythfrontend-20200602-arm64-v32-Pre-523-g907841a119.apk). The timeline
>> issue seems to be fixed.  Even though the new FE says v32, it works with my
>> v31 backend also.
>>
>> I still have issues with properly setting up 5.1 surround sound, but
>> that's not a big deal for me in OTA TV watching.
>>
>> I still don't know if I have the optimum settings for MPEG2 HD video, but
>> what I have works fine and the picture is great most of the time.
>>
>> Jim A
>>
>> P.S. Android mythtv-leanfront's video is still better, but they are close
>> now.
>>

>> I know this is a 2 month old post but I wanted to updated it.
>>
>> After yesterday's finding of an issues related to my Shield TV and using
>> a USB Flash drive constantly inserted in one of the USB port, here's the
>> details.
>>
>> This morning I was watching an in-progress recording about 30-40 minutes
>> behind real time. Absolutely no video quality issues at the 15 minute point
>> as previously observed. Also at the 20 minute point where the network cuts
>> to the local station for local news, I used the down arrow to skip 10
>> minutes to the 30 minute point and it works as expected.
>>
>> The version tested was
>> mythfrontend-20200716-arm64-v31.0-79-g89d1991ef2.apk.
>>
>> <https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/generic/mythtv_31/android_64/:mythfrontend-20200716-arm64-v31.0-79-g89d1991ef2.apk>
>>
>> The hardware was a 2017 Shield TV.
>>
>> Not sure if either the Shield TV or mythfrontend could have been using
>> the external USB Flash key for any caching but, whatever I did by
>> eliminating the USB Flash key seems to have fixed this problem.
>>
>> This was not an intermittent problem. It happened everyday at about the
>> same timeline points.
>>
>> So this seems to be my issue only which explains why no one could
>> duplicate the problem
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> Well, I can chime in and say that unrelated to MythTV, I had a friend who
> thought it would be good to put a USB 2.1 drive into the Shield to allow
> more storage for Kodi metadata.  With no button presses or configuration,
> it used the device for data and caching.  Of course, it could not be
> [...]

I appreciate the data point.  Even though my Shield TV has usb3 ports and
my usb memory key was usb3, I think that internal storage has to be faster.
I'm only using USB external storage for transfers from now on.

I've had no issues since removing that USB stick.  I did lose one app, but
quickly reinstalled it.

Jim A