[mythtv-users] understanding storage group balancing

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Aug 7 13:36:48 UTC 2020

Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> Check which "Storage Group Disk Scheduler" is in use.
>
> You probably want "Balanced Free Space" 'til the 2nd disk fills.
>
> Then switch to your preferred scheduler, e.g."Balanced Disk I/O"
>
> Ref: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Storage_Directories#Storage_Group_Disk_Scheduler

As I read the link above, specifically the advanced notes, it would appear that Balanced Disk I/O is now equivalent to Combined if either all storage is local or all is remote. If everything is either local or remote, then the decision tree would appear to boil down to :
> if fs1 or fs2 has a lower weight, use the one with the lowest weight
> else if both have equal weights then use the one with the most free space

Is that right ?

If so, then I guess for many (most ?) of us, Balanced Disk I/O makes the most sense - I have Combination sets as that's what came over from my older system when I upgraded.

In my experience, as long as you are watching and deleting stuff, then that seems to keep the free space fairly balanced. If recording one thing, it's going to go to the fs with the most free space (eights would be equal, so choose most free space). Two recordings would be split across the two fs. Three would be split with 2 to the fs with the most free space and 1 to the other, and so on.
Of course, if you add an empty drive then it's still going to use the fuller drives - but as long as you are watching and deleting stuff faster than it's recording to those then you'll still be OK.

Simon