[mythtv-users] find_orphans deleted everything!

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 7 10:34:08 UTC 2020

________________________________
From: Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, 7 August 2020 7:52 pm
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] find_orphans deleted everything!

On 8/7/20 1:41 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 8/6/20 1:24 PM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>>
>> On 8/4/20 11:38 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
>>>

>>> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:18 AM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:keemllib at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     On 8/4/20 7:20 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
>>>     > This is strange.  I've used the find_orphans script for years to
>>>     find
>>>     > problems and fix them; particularly after restoring a database.
>>>     >
>>>     > So after creating a new system with a new database but the
>>> same old
>>>     > recordings hard drive, I ran it looking for issues. It found
>>>     about 20 and
>>>     > I chose to delete the problems. It deleted everything including a
>>>     > recording that was happening at the time. Many of these were
>>> Live TV
>>>     > partial recordings and nothing of significance was lost.
>>>     However, it makes
>>>     > me wonder about find_orphan.py<http://orphan.py>.  I have the version that is for
>>>     v31+.
>>>     >
>>>     > Thoughts?
>>>     >
>>>     > JIm A
>>>
>>>     I'm confused about the "nothing of significance was lost"
>>>     comment and the Subject: line.
>>>
>>>     By everything, do you mean it deleted all of the recordings
>>>     on the "old recordings drive"?
>>>
>>>     Did the initial output list the recordings that it planned
>>>     to delete?
>>>
>>>     --     Bill
>>>

>>> Sorry I was not clear.  Since I rebuilt the system I have recorded
>>> nothing of interest, just keeping everything working.  So losing all
>>> the recordings since the rebuild is not significant . So if I check
>>> my storage groups directories "defaults" and "Livetv" I see only
>>> files recorded since I did the destructed find_orphans.py<http://orphans.py>.
>>> So now I should have no orphans.  Only 2 recordings and 1
>>> livetv file. But if you look at the console below you'll see the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> jim at mythbuntu:/mnt/md1$ ls recorded-tv2/
>>> 10501_20200804123700.ts      11701_20200804122800.ts
>>> 10501_20200804123700.ts.png  11701_20200804122800.ts.png
>>> jim at mythbuntu:/mnt/md1$ ls livetv2/
>>> 11101_20200804123728.ts
>>> jim at mythbuntu:/mnt/md1$ cd
>>> jim at mythbuntu:~$ ./find_orphans.py<http://orphans.py>
>>> Recordings with missing files
>>>   mythbuntu: CBS This Morning  11701_20200804122800.ts
>>>   mythbuntu: Good Morning America  11101_20200804123728.ts
>>>   mythbuntu: Today                 10501_20200804123700.ts
>>>                       Count:           3
>>> Please select from the following
>>>  1. Delete orphaned recording entries
>>>  2. Refresh list
>>> >

>> Bill,
>>
>> Did you see what I was referring to?
>
> Yes, and I don't have an answer. May be the use of BackendServerIP
> that doesn't
> exist on a fresh install. Rather, MasterServerIP. Try changing both
> [...]

I played with the script a little but I have two handicaps, (1.) I don't
know mysql and (2.) I don't know python3.

So I'm not going to be any help here.  So basically, I'm making a note
on my system that find_orphan.py<http://orphan.py> is not to be trusted.

I don't imagine that I have a problem now and I'll be careful moving
forward.

Jim A

Does the user running the script have the same permissions as the user running the backend (alternatively try running script as same user as backend). Are you running script remotely from storage groups / backend?