[mythtv-users] Is "Forget Old" the same as "Allow this program to rerecord"?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Aug 6 17:38:28 UTC 2020

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 00:53:42 -0400, you wrote:

>Not near my system right now, but check in on it with Mythweb.
>
>Noticed an episode was marked damaged due to weather (OTA setup) but since
>I don't know how damaged and since I don't know how much longer the series
>will keep looping on this channel, I want to keep it but allow it to
>rerecord.
>
>[as I'm typing this another thought came to mind, but I'll ask the original
>question anyway.]
>
>Is mythweb's "forget old" equivalent to the frontend GUI's "Allow this
>program to rerecord"?
>
>And my second thought: are damaged programs automatically marked to allow
>rerecord?
>
>Thanks.

If you want to know how damaged a recording is, you can check the
mythbackend.log file.  A line like this:

Aug  6 20:34:02 mypvr mythbackend: mythbackend[3174]: I TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:864 (FinishedRecording) TVRec[90]:
FinishedRecording(10006_2020-08-06T07:30:00Z) good
recq:<RecordingQuality overall_score="0.985833"
key="10006_2020-08-06T07:30:00Z" countinuity_error_count="0"
packet_count="21428097">#012    <Gap start="2020-08-06T07:30:00Z"
end="2020-08-06T07:30:17Z" duration="17" />#012</RecordingQuality>

is logged at the end of all recordings.  It will say overall_score="1"
for totally good recordings.  Use this command to find those lines:

grep -a "overall_score=\"0" /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log

I have the "-v record" option set on my mythbackend command line - I
am not sure if the score lines get logged without that option.

Often, as in the above score line, you get a Gap notice that is for a
gap at the start of a recording.  In this case, there is a 17 second
gap at the start.  If you have enough pre-roll for the recording, a
gap that small may well not affect the recording as the actual
programme does not start until after the gap.  But you need to play
the start of the recording to know for sure, as the TV schedulers are
not always exact in when they actually start each programme.

I normally run that grep command once a day when I check the
scheduling to make sure there are no problems with the EPG data.  That
way I can choose to manually re-schedule slightly damaged recordings
that MythTV does not mark as bad as they only have one or two gaps of
a second or two.