[mythtv-users] V31, switching to xmltv on fedora

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 10:46:53 UTC 2020

On 4/11/20 12:55 AM, DaveD wrote:
> Fedora packages don't create a mythtv user in the usual sense: there
> is no /home/mythtv directory.  mythbackend runs as user mythtv.  I
> assume it spawns mythfilldatabase as the same user. Where is the xmltv
> data going to go?  Where does the channel setup data go? I'm
> confused.  All the pages I've read so far keep referring to mythbuntu
> and creating a mythtv user.  Do I need to do that so I can run xmltv
> config as that user?  Other stuff suggests running xmltv setup (and
> mythfilldatabase?) as any user, then creating symlinks, again to
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv.  Do I have to have /home/mythtv/.mythtv for this
> to work? Would I be advised to create an actual profile with password
> and literally log in as mythv to run this stuff?
>
> In a more general sense, why do I have to do anything?  Mythtv has
> been filling my database for years.  So now there's a new format for
> the same data from the same source for the same channels already in my
> database.  Why do we need to do anything? Couldn't one write a script
> to do this?  Or, better yet, add some code to the existing program(s)
> to do it?
>
> Dave D.

I'm not an expert and it took me a while to fully get the XMLTV stuff
and I am on Ubuntu/mythbuntu based backend. Since the backend runs a
user 'mythtv', I'd just create /home/mythtv/ as would normally happen if
you did an adduser command.

Once you have all the XMLTV software and prerequisites installed
described on the wiki page (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV), I'd just
switch to user mythtv with sudo su mythtv or however you do that on
Fedora. Then run the commands as is at
(https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Setup_with_tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite)
verbatim. That will create a EPG database in the right place with the
right permissions for user 'mythtv'. I don't use links because I don't
fully understand them, which shows I'm not an expert. I would make sure
you have a /home/mythtv/.xmltv/config.xml which you can link to or copy.
On a standard Ubuntu install you don't need to.

Once you compete the setup on the wiki page, log back in a you user and
did mythtv-setup and on Video Sources just have the source named "SD"
that was created on the wiki page. Once setup is done and you exit you
can start the backend.

I reboot at this time to make sure things work automatically.  I find
that mythfilldatabase usually runs on reboot. It it doesn't, just login
as user 'mythtv' and run mythfilldatabase.

Jim A