[mythtv-users] Android frontend for FireTv cube 4k?

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Thu Apr 9 00:41:40 UTC 2020

On 5/17/19 1:10 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 5/17/19 12:04 PM, mythtv wrote:
>> I tried one of the latest android builds from the ticket. I can
>> actually get audio now, but only stereo. When I try to play a movie
>> with digital audio, it seems to want to convert everything to LPCM
>> stereo. That's what my receiver says its receiving.
>
> Did you follow the instructions in the ticket?
>
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13446#comment:5
>
> See "To use AudioTrack on Android" in the comment

Hi Peter, I am finally updating to version 31 this week and had saved
this thread for when I was able to do the upgrade.  In the notes of the
ticket you noted:

    To use AudioTrack on Android

In the Android setup, choose "Automatic" or "Best Available". There is
no need to force Dolby Digital in Android, it will be used automatically
if your hardware supports it.

Select "AudioTrack:" audio device. Enable all entries under "Digital
Capabilities" and set the appropriate number of speakers. Android will
detect whether your TV or sound system supports the audio format and
will either pass it through or decode it within android hardware. So for
example you can select Dolby Digital even if your sound system, TV or
display monitor does not support it and android will decode it. If you
do not select the checkbox, MythTV will decode it.

I have tested Dolby Digital (AC-3). I cannot test multi channel LPCM,
DTS, E-AC3, etc. If anybody can test these it would be appreciated. In
particular, testing multi-channel LPCM is needed to make sure the
channel mapping is correct.

Let me know if there is any feedback.

I configured my shield frontend to have all digital formats and set the
Shield to auto.   It seemed like all was working until today my wife
reported a video that has AC-3 audio that wouldn't play any sound.  If I
uncheck AC-3 in mythtvsetup, I get the audio.  Additionally, in
leanfrontend it plays with audio just fine.

According to the manual for my receiver, it does support all of the
digital audio formats in the mythtv screen.

Are these instructions still accurate?  Any thoughts on debugging further?

Michael