[mythtv-users] Leanfrontend and parental controls?

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Tue Apr 7 18:58:42 UTC 2020

On 4/7/20 10:03 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 4/6/20 5:14 PM, Michael wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> I was curious if parental controls was a feature that was being
>> considered for the lean frontend?
>>

>> I use this feature a lot to keep the kid away from grown up
>> movies.    For the front end in her room, it starts at level 1 which
>> is kids movies only.   The living room starts at level 2 which
>> includes Kids and more grown up movies, etc.
>>

>> Michael
>>
> No - I have considered that. Never having used parental controls, I am
> not familiar with how they work. It is possibly something I can look
> into. leanfront is a one man effort at the moment. Can you let me know
> how you use parental controls? Is it for recordings only or videos as
> well? Does it depend on the ratings from the listing service?

Hi Peter,

Parental controls are in mythvideo only as far as I know:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_Library#Parental_Controls.   Any time
I post about parental controls, it seems like I am one of the only
persons using this capability :)

The levels are pretty basic with only 1-4.   They are not automatically
set.   The info is in the videometadata table in showlevel.   I have a
script that sets these levels in the DB based on directory structure.

in mythvideo, you can set a default level to use when entering. Then you
can press 1-4 to change levels.   You can set a pin for each level if
you want.  If there is no pin, you can change without being promoted.
So, for example, in the living room, I default to 2.   My daughter can
get to all the kid movies and some PG-13 movies.   To get to R or above,
you would have to select 3 on the remote and you would be prompted for a
pin.   Then you could see/browse these movies.   I think all of the
checking/validation/etc happens on the frontend - so it is really just a
filter of what is being displayed.

Not a priority and like I said, I am not sure how many people use this
feature.

Michael