[mythtv-users] Why is MythTV sending data out to some servers out there?

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 23:01:49 UTC 2020

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 2:29 PM A. F. Cano <afc54 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm noticing that the network interface is sending and receiving data in
> the
> range of 15 to 40 KiB/s while I'm doing nothing internet related.  So I
> install ntopng, learn how to use it and it tells me that MythTV is in
> contact
> with some web sites:
>
> L4 Proto        Client                          Server
> UDP             MythTV on <my host name>        178.62.234.39:21873
> UDP             51.255.171.145:18746            MythTV on <my host
> name>:17759
>
> There are many other lines like this where MythTV is mentioned, mostly UDP
> but also some TCP, but these two are the ones with the most data
> throughput.
>
> The application column says "Unknown" in all cases.
>
> What is going on here?  How can I stop this behavior?  I am only using EIT
> for programming info.

I don't use ntop, so I'm not sure how it's determining "MythTV" as the
source.  But, to eliminate a lot of variables, I would use a simpler tool
for a lower level view.  From a terminal session run:
  sudo netstat -anp |grep $PORTNUMBER

Where $PORTNUMBER is one of the ports from connection you're looking for.
Or, use the destination IP address.  Either way it should show which
process is talking.