[mythtv-users] mythtranscode in V31

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 16:14:32 UTC 2020

I wanted to test transcoding on v31 on the RPi4 but first I need to better understand how to properly use it on v31 on my production backend which is a Core i7 PC so no performance issues. Source is OTA MPEG2 programs from HDHR.

1.  The concept is to have a recording that is automatically flagged for commercials.
2,  Then after the Commflagging is done use Mythfrontend to manually edit the cutlist to be correct for all commercials and save it.
3.  Use the builtin Job Option -> Begin Transcoding -> [Default | Autodetect | High Quality | Medium Quality | Low Quality] I used Autodetect for my test.

While this works, the transcoded program is really messed up.  What I want is lossless MPEG2 (.ts). I envision a simple copy function where the source is copied to a .tmp file dropping the commercials but no compression. So the file would be smaller and the quality the same. No changing of interlacing.

I’m not doing this right. So any help would be appreciated.

Jim A