[mythtv-users] Upgrade to 31, playback SLOOWWWW! - SOLVED

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Sat Apr 4 01:29:21 UTC 2020

On 4/3/20 5:43 PM, DaveD wrote:
> Ok, I did it:  I upgraded to 31.  No (new) problems with
> channels/listings (yet), but it won't play correctly.  I've tried
> different playback profiles with zero change.  Sound seems fine, but
> video is slow motion, getting progressively (ridiculously) far behind
> the audio.  No errors reported in mythfrontend output.  I'm using
> Intel integrated graphics on Fedora, which has flawlessly played
> everything I've thrown at it for the last year++.  mplayer and vlc
> work fine.  Anyone else?  Advice?
>
> Dave D.

On this page
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_31_Video_decoding_and_playback
they state "The full list of supported hardware codecs available for a
system is now shown in the 'System status' page ('Video decoders' tab)
in the Mythfrontend GUI".  It was when I visited that screen (which was
empty!!) that I got this error in the console where I started
mythfrontend:  "Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva
error)" when "Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/i965_drv_video.so".

Turns out I needed to install the libva-intel-driver package.  A
re-visit to the playback profiles settings gave me much more to choose
from and now playback is normal.  Phew...

Dave D.