[mythtv-users] :Re Mythweb versus Webfrontend

jam@tigger.ws jameslinder0 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 23:45:25 UTC 2020

> On 4 Apr 2020, at 5:05 am, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 4/2/20, jam at tigger.ws <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>>

>>> On 1 Apr 2020, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>>>
>>> These two projects aim to implement pretty much the same functionality,
>>> correct? I realize one is more mature than the other and so may currently
>>>
>>> be more featureful. But the other should be just as feature-complete at
>>> some point, correct?
>>>
>>> I also understand that one (Mythweb) relies on a web server being
>>> installed and perhaps some related software like php, but that the other
>>> (Webfrontend) does not have those additional dependencies, correct?
>>>
>>> I've still got Mythweb installed here along with its additional
>>> dependencies but am considering getting rid of it and its dependencies if
>>>
>>> Webfrontend has all functionality I will need. Advice/input will be
>>> appreciated.
>>
>> First a disclaimer: I'm the git who so rudely refered to the UI as pandering
>> to the mobile phone set.
>> It is not as bad as I made out, although I still don't like it.
>
> This one caught my eye because there's a lot here that really made no
> sense to me...see my inline replies:
>

>> The webFrontend is a laudable effort and no doubt will 'get there' but is
>> definitely 'not there yet'
>> It has on several ocasions trashed my DB requiring a restore.
>> It has on several ocasions messed up my schedule.
>
> I have to admit, I haven't use webFrontend much and I'm not sure about
> scheduling bugs, but especially when you refer to it "trashing" your
> database and requiring a restore...that's wildly severe and frankly
> very hard to believe, especially if it's using existing APIs. Are
> there any bugs around that?

Tom when it happened I either submitted a bug report or sent details to the list.
I hate users like me who say there was a problem. "What it say" "can't remember, rebooted'
That is exactly.what I did do - rush to get mythtv working before the next shedule

AIR I entered a shedule, canceled it, re-entered on HD or SD channel or slight time change

When I was reporting I could get a repeatable sequence. No one seemed interesred!
To make it worse my daily db backups had stopped some weeks before (again I don't recall but the reason was trivial)

>> I run SuSE on my backend and was not able to get mythweb to work so I run a
>> VM running ubuntu solely to host mythweb.
>
> I occasionally see people having a difficult time with mythweb and I
> have a hard time figuring out why. What version of PHP was involved on
> SuSE? I've never had issues with mythweb under Gentoo and currently
> I'm using php 7.2. I'm not sure if mythweb has issues with 7.3 or
> not(?)

Again (blushing) as I recall SuSE changed a module that would not load. I can reinstall mythweb and give you exact detail if need be.

>> No-fumble setup a recording seems to always work.
>> It is on a fumble where you delete then add a schedule where things go awry.
>> I have both, use both, and am careful to avoid 'here be dragons' and would
>> be lost without mythweb.
>>
>> Also IIRC Qt, webkit etc are going to affect webfrontend and how it is
>> implimented as the exiting API is/will be depreciated.
>
> You totally lost me there. QT webkit certainly has nothing whatsoever
> to do with webfrontend, as webfrontend it totally browser based. In
> fact I have MythTV installed using my own Gentoo ebuild where I've
> done away with qtwebkit altogether and webfrontend works. What API are
> you saying is deprecated, and how would that affect webfrontend?

This is noise. A while ago I tried to build mythtv for osx and spent weeks struggling in that area.
So I assumed it was WebKit that caused the hastles.
(And despite Craig's kind words and encouragement I can't do it repeatedly. That sounds like rubbish, but I suceed then the next 10 tries fail)
I'm not a dork but am intenslsely busy with other software. Mythtv just works, so all the woes dim into background and the other swamps it.

James