[mythtv-users] Understanding Schedules Direct change in V0.31

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 17:52:02 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 1:15 PM William Bixby <wbixby at usa.net> wrote:

> I have Myth 27 running on Ubuntu 14.04 (Runs great, so if it isn't
> broken, don't fix it theory!)
>
> I know I need to update to currently supported releases.
> I plan a project  this summer to move to Ubuntu 20.04, and likely Mythtv
> 31.
> I have a new SSD for the current OS and a partition for the Myth
> database with space allocated for a new, separate OS install and a copy
> of the database, no update in place!
>
> But I assume I can't update the SD in Myth 27 to XMLTV.  Is there
> release of Mythtv that I can upgrade to from 27 and then update to
> XMLTV? Then migrate that setup to 31?
>
> I do understand that my 14.04 OS is too old for a decent current release
> of Mythtv, so I will likely need several steps.
> 1) An OS release that supports Myth 29 or 30
> 2) migrate the (copy of) Mythtv 27 database to that
> 3) update to XMLTV
> 4) when all that is running smoothly, update it in place to Ubuntu 20.04
> and Mythtv 31.
>

> Have I got a reasonable plan?
> --
> Bill Bixby
> Laconia NH
>
> Before I upgraded my production system to Mythtv V31, I was on v30. Not a
huge upgrade in theory, but I never just upgrade.  I grabbed an old PC out
of the closet and put Ubuntu 18.04 on it and then install Mythtv V31 and
XMLTV.  Since I have several HDHRs on the network that the production
backend doesn't use, I setup a brand new V31 system and compared how it all
worked over a few weeks.  Then I did a mythconverg_backup on the old system
and restored it to my test system.  I also copied over my recordings.  The
restore went cleanly and with everything working I did the V31 upgrade on
the production system.

V31 on an Ubuntu 18.04 is very clean and fixes a number of things like
remembering to systemctl stop mythtv-backend before mythtv-setup.

The worse issue I had going from Schedule DD to XMLTV was the database
forgot what channel it had recorded a program on.  So if you had rules that
said only record a program on a specific channel, You'll need to edit those
rules.

Jim A