[mythtv-users] Understanding Schedules Direct change in V0.31

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:01:10 UTC 2020

On 4/2/20 10:01 AM, Ian Evans wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2020, 9:48 AM James Abernathy, <jfabernathy at gmail.com
> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 9:32 AM Christopher X. Candreva
>     <chris at westnet.com <mailto:chris at westnet.com>> wrote:
>

>         Relatively simple question: Do I understand correctly that,
>         when I upgrade
>         my setup to V0.31 , I will need to go through the manual steps
>         outlined in
>         https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Schedules_Direct_Setup to
>         enable the
>         Schedules Direct XMLTV ? Obtain the grabbers, run from command
>         line, this
>         isn't included in the packaging (Fedora / RPM Fusion) or
>         mythtvsetup as of
>         yet ?
>
>         There is no judgement intended, I just want to know how much
>         time to
>         schedule around the upgrade. Thank you for all the hard work
>         you do !
>

>     In my opinion, The instructions at the top of the Mythtv XMLTV
>     page is accurate as to installing the things needed for XMLTV,
>     certainly for Ubuntu/Debian based systems. If your Distro doesn't
>     have some old version of XMLTV available as a package, then you
>     may have a lot of perl packages that are required to be installed.
>     Manually installing all of XMLTV from the git is easy, except if
>     you have to get all those little Perl pieces together.  I'd set
>     aside 30 minutes for all the googling you'll need to do the find
>     your distro's package for the perl lib you're missing. Git readme
>     should help.
>
>     Next I'd use tv_grab_xx_sdjson_sqlite.  It seems to be very
>     flexible and for me easy.  The time consuming part is yes/no on
>     each of the channels you want for your Zipcode.
>
>     THE KEY is to do all the XMLTV setup stuff as user 'mythtv'
>
>     Jim A
>

> Is it possible to grab lineups from multiple zipcodes?
>
> I have a couple of channels (Bloomberg, France24 English language
> news) set up via the HLS recorder. In the non-XMLTV SD setup, I have a
> Toronto postal code for the Toronto/Buffalo OTA listings and a NYC
> cable zipcode to get the schedules for the two HLS channels.
>
> Can the XMLTV setup handle that and would I have to say 'NO' to
> hundreds of cable channels just to get those two? In the web interface
> I was just able to deselect all and just choose the two I needed.

I have done this before when one of my HDHR tuners didn't pickup a few
channels.  I created 2 databases on XMLTV with different names and then
selected which channels schedules went into which database.  then I
created 2 video sources in mythtv to match those 2 names. Input
Connections were setup to match the video source to which tuner.

Jim A