[mythtv-users] Understanding Schedules Direct change in V0.31

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 14:01:14 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020, 9:48 AM James Abernathy, <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 9:32 AM Christopher X. Candreva <chris at westnet.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Relatively simple question: Do I understand correctly that, when I
>> upgrade
>> my setup to V0.31 , I will need to go through the manual steps outlined
>> in
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Schedules_Direct_Setup to enable the
>> Schedules Direct XMLTV ? Obtain the grabbers, run from command line, this
>> isn't included in the packaging (Fedora / RPM Fusion) or mythtvsetup as
>> of
>> yet ?
>>
>> There is no judgement intended, I just want to know how much time to
>> schedule around the upgrade. Thank you for all the hard work you do !
>>

> In my opinion, The instructions at the top of the Mythtv XMLTV page is
> accurate as to installing the things needed for XMLTV, certainly for
> Ubuntu/Debian based systems. If your Distro doesn't have some old version
> of XMLTV available as a package, then you may have a lot of perl packages
> that are required to be installed. Manually installing all of XMLTV from
> the git is easy, except if you have to get all those little Perl pieces
> together.  I'd set aside 30 minutes for all the googling you'll need to do
> the find your distro's package for the perl lib you're missing. Git readme
> should help.
>
> Next I'd use tv_grab_xx_sdjson_sqlite.  It seems to be very flexible and
> for me easy.  The time consuming part is yes/no on each of the channels you
> want for your Zipcode.
>
> THE KEY is to do all the XMLTV setup stuff as user 'mythtv'
>
> Jim A

Is it possible to grab lineups from multiple zipcodes?

I have a couple of channels (Bloomberg, France24 English language news) set
up via the HLS recorder. In the non-XMLTV SD setup, I have a Toronto postal
code for the Toronto/Buffalo OTA listings and a NYC cable zipcode to get
the schedules for the two HLS channels.

Can the XMLTV setup handle that and would I have to say 'NO' to hundreds of
cable channels just to get those two? In the web interface I was just able
to deselect all and just choose the two I needed.