[mythtv-users] Mythweb versus Webfrontend

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Wed Apr 1 13:43:28 UTC 2020

> On Mar 31, 2020, at 8:38 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
>
> These two projects aim to implement pretty much the same functionality, correct? I realize one is more mature than the other and so may currently be more featureful. But the other should be just as feature-complete at some point, correct?
>
> I also understand that one (Mythweb) relies on a web server being installed and perhaps some related software like php, but that the other (Webfrontend) does not have those additional dependencies, correct?
>
> I've still got Mythweb installed here along with its additional dependencies but am considering getting rid of it and its dependencies if Webfrontend has all functionality I will need. Advice/input will be appreciated.

Unfortunately, neither Mythweb or Webfrontend is getting a lot of attention these days.  Webfrontend was started more than 6 years ago.  Even at that time, Mythweb had such serious technical issues that it warranted scrapping.

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11938

There are some other frontend projects:  Leanfront and Android front ends come to mind.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android_TV_Leanback_Frontend
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android

On iOS, there is Glorious MythTV:

https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=3134

AIUI, none of the alternate frontends come close to providing all the functionality of the native Myth front end.  It is a _lot_ of work to build a front end—let alone extend the backend API that makes these alternate front ends possible.

You can mix and match pretty much any combination you want.

Craig